Level 3 Understand Child Development from birth to 19 years
Understand child and young person development (4 credits)
This unit provides knowledge and understanding of how children and young people from birth to 19 years develop, including underpinning theoretical perspectives.
It also includes actions taken when differences in development are identified and the potential effects of transitions on children and young people’s development.
What this unit covers:
- Understand development from 0-19 years
- Look at the difference between the sequences and rate of development and why the difference is important
- How children’s development is influenced by personal factors including health status, disability, sensory impairment, learning difficulties
- How children’s development is influenced by external factors including poverty and deprivation, family environment and background, personal choices, looked after / care status, education
- How different theorists influence practice including cognitive, psychoanalytic, humanist, social learning, operant conditioning, behaviourist theories
- How to monitor children and young people’s development using different methods including assessment frameworks, observation methods, standard measurements
- Looking at reasons why development may not follow the expected pattern including disability, emotional, physical, environmental, cultural, social, learning needs and communication
- Looking at how disability may affect development including the social and medical model of disability
- How different interventions can promote positive outcomes for children and young people e.g. social worker, speech and language therapist, additional learning support, health visitor, psychologist
- Looking at the importance of identifying speech, language and communication delays as soon as possible
- Understanding how multi-agency teams work together to support speech, language and communication
- Looking at play and activities to support speech, language and communication
- Identifying common and uncommon transitions children go through and how they may affect development including emotional, physical, physiological and intellectual
- Understanding how positive relationships during times of transition impacts on children.
As this is a knowledge only unit you do not need access to a workplace to complete this course.
Once you have completed the course you will be awarded with an accredited Cache certificate.
No college attendance is required.
The introductory price for this course is only £60.
Email email@example.com for more information or an application form.